Monday, January 24, 2011

Norbu Tea 2010 Spring Yunnan Mao Feng Green Tea

In my short career/hobby of tea drinking, I can definitely say that I've learned one thing:

Price is not a determinant of quality.

With this in mind, I found some inexpensive greens on Norbu and I figure that I would give them a shot.  4 bucks for 50 grams?  Sign me up!

The leaves were pretty, and had an aroma not unlike tropical fruit and walnuts mixed with ascorbic acid(Vitamin C).

Lots and Lots of buds.


The first cup was close to what I associate as 'Green Tea'.  Sweetness and light, bright flavors that seemed to be overcome by muscatel flavors as well as a flavor that reminds me of the smell of the birdhouse at my local zoo.

"But wait, crazy tea reviewer!" You exclaim.  "Green tea with muscatel flavors?"

Yes, my sane tea blog readers.  This tea tastes very similar to a First Flush Darjeeling.  Every infusion had that flavor, with others fading in and out.

The second through fourth cups gradually faded from light honeysuckle, Muscatel and steamed vegetables into a bitter, rough liquor with a sweet flavor that I can only describe as bizarre.  Imagine a strawberry sitting on top of raw spinach leaves, doused with black pepper.

It only looks innocent.




Cup five continued down that strange path, now with a distinct spicy flavor akin to nutmeg - raw nutmeg, ground up and dumped into one's mouth.  Needless to say, I quit after this point, simply baffled.  Inspection of the leaf showed slight oxidation on almost every leaf.

Oxidation!




Different sessions with this tea gave similar results, despite using different parameters each time.  Personally, this isn't my favorite tea in the world.  I'm sure there is someone out there who loves this stuff - more power to them!

Next time I'll be back with more blabbing about green tea.  Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Huh, oxidation on a green tea leaf. That would definitely change the flavor in an extreme way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it would. The Bi Luo Chun from Yunnan had the same thing happening.

    ReplyDelete