Saturday, January 1, 2011

Yuuki-Cha's 2010 Spring Kanayamidori Sencha

I was brought into the world of Sencha with teas quite similar to this one.


I keep all the bags "Just in case"


The leaves are the largest I have ever seen on a light steamed sencha, or any sencha for that matter.  The aroma, as I recall it, is an intense bright sweetness with hints of flowers and no toastiness to speak of.  If there’s one thing that I actually don’t like in a sencha, it’s the acrid roasty flavor that is seen in some of the inexpensive stuff, and some of the nicer stuff too.  To me, toastiness belongs in Genmaicha and some Taiwanese Oolong.


Long, Aromatic Leaf



140 | 3 grams | 60s, 5s, 8s, 11s, 15s, 35s

I won’t make excuses here.  My brewing on this one was horrid.  Not enough leaf, the temperature was too low, and the infusion times were lengthened to compensate.  Even though the infusions actually came out okay, I resolved myself to never brew tea when I wasn’t feeling well and/or wasn’t thinking clearly due to fatigue.

The first infusion actually turned out fine, with a warm, buttery and sweet combination of flavors accented with a touch of vegetal bitterness in the throat.  I usually swirl the first few sips around in my mouth for 30 seconds or so to get the best flavour from it.  The liquor was smooth, which to me is an indication of good quality.

The second cup had a nice, brothy liquor with fruity accents, much akin to tropical fruit like mango or pineapple.  Along with the hit of fructose(for those of you not familiar, that is fruit sugar), a little bitterness in the back of the palate balanced things out.  The same flavors continued through cup four until cup five, where it dropped off suddenly, turning into pale, sweet green water.


I placed the liquor in my cha hai for better colour



Overall, this tea was just fine.  Later sessions with this tea really brought out immense depth of flavor and a rather powerful sleep inducing theanine rush.  Also, the one-cup at a time rule, which means only brewing enough tea to fill up one of my yunomi - seems to help as well.  If you’re an asamushi fan as I am, give this one a try.

2 comments:

  1. The leaves look quite dark! I am used to the emerald shade that senchas usually acquire due to the steaming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lighting was tough for those pics - if I still had some left over I would take more. Or I could just order more! That might work...

    ReplyDelete